Oscar Romero Scholars Program
The Oscar Romero Scholars Program offers Hispanic lay men and women a full tuition scholarship for a professional graduate degree that prepares them to minister in the Archdiocese of Chicago. Co-sponsored by the Archdiocese of Chicago and CTU, this competitive Scholarship Program aims to meet the need for pastoral ministers in the Hispanic/Latin@ community in Chicago.
Romero Scholars participate in the program with the understanding that they will commit to work in or on behalf of the Archdiocese of Chicago for at least three years after their graduation. The deadline for applications is March 31, 2015
Romero Scholars participate in formation activities designed to enhance their own spirituality and integrate spiritual formation, academic understanding, and practical ministerial skills. All of these activities take place within the context of the Hispanic and Latino cultures in Chicago. This formation consists of monthly theological reflection with other scholars, retreats, and participation in special events at CTU.
- Master of Arts in Pastoral Studies (M.A.P.S.) — Provides education in the basic theological disciplines as a focus for developing selected pastoral skills.
- Master of Divinity (M.Div.) — Prepares candidates for pastoral leadership in a pluralistic world through a variety of ministerial contexts.
- Master of Arts (M.A.) (Theology) — There are two types of Master of Arts (Theology) degrees offered at CTU – the general academic M.A. and the research M.A.
- Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.) — a generalist ministerial degree designed for people with rich experience in ministry who wish to wed that experience with strong theoretical work.
- A college degree or its equivalency
- Three years of ministry in the Church
- Sincere commitment to accomplish his/her studies and to serve the Church as a Lay Minister
- To work for the Archdiocese of Chicago three years after Graduation
- Hispanic/Latino(a) and Catholic
- Three Letters of Recomendation: Pastoral, Academic, Ministerial
- Must apply to CTU first
Download the Oscar Romero Scholarship Application here.
(Application to the Romero Scholars Program does not automatically mean acceptance to the program.)
Click here to read article in Catolico about the Oscar Romero Scholars Program and CTU's efforts to provide educational opportunities to the Hispanic/Latino(a) communities. (en Español )
For more information on the Oscar Romero Scholars Program, contact the director of the program: