Leadership in Ministry Scholarship Programs
Overview of Leadership in Ministry Scholarships
Leadership in Ministry Scholarships are designed to support lay women and men who are seeking master's level degrees in theology and ministry and are committed to serving in a leadership position. The goal is to make theological education and formation accessible to those who demonstrate a capacity for leadership. These scholarships are made available through generous grants and gifts made to CTU in support of lay education.
Eligibility for Leadership in Ministry Scholarships
In the selection process for the Leadership in Ministry Scholarships, consideration will be given to candidates who are able to demonstrate experiences that point to their capacity for leadership.
More specifically, to qualify for a Leadership in Ministry Scholarship, applicants must:
- Have earned a Bachelor’s degree with a G.P.A. of normally 3.0/4.0 or above.
- Have met all CTU admission requirements
- Be admitted to a Master's Degree program at CTU. Please have the completed Application for Admission submitted to the Admissions Office by February 24, 2017 in order to allow enough time to process application. Applicants must be admitted to CTU before they will be considered for scholarship. These tuition scholarships are designed to assist in bringing in new students to CTU.
- Complete the Leadership in Ministry Scholarship Program application and essays (see application PDF below)
- Submit one (1) additional letter of recommendation beyond the three required letters of recommendation required for admittance to Catholic Theological Union.
- Submit additional information, if required.
All Leadership in Ministry Scholarship awards will cover tuition of participating degree programs, listed below. Scholarships do not cover room and board, books, insurance, activity fees or travel.
The award provides full-tuition scholarships for part-time student pursuing these degree programs:
• Master of Arts (Theology) – general academic or research,– concentration of choice, including interreligious dialogue
• Master of Arts in Biblical Ministry
• Master of Arts in Hispanic Theology and Ministry
• Master of Arts in Intercultural Ministry
• Master of Arts in Justice Ministry
• Master of Arts in Liturgical Ministry
• Master of Arts in Spiritual Ministry
• Master of Arts in Pastoral Studies (48 semester-hours)
Criteria for Leadership in Ministry Scholarships
- Though the intention is to provide ongoing scholarship support for the duration of a student's degree program, renewal of funding will be dependent upon meeting the criteria for each particular scholarship, and continued funding.
- Scholars must maintain a 3.0 grade point average in order to remain eligible for ongoing funding
- Scholars will actively participate in the Emmaus Lay Formation Program which includes two director meetings, two theological reflection sessions, two retreats each year, and ongoing spiritual direction.
- Scholars will be asked to participate as a volunteer in school activities and to attend periodic scholarship meetings throughout the school year which serve to support the scholars in their endeavors.
- Scholars will be asked to prepare a hand-written thank you note to their funder, and to attend a social with other scholars and funders each Fall.
- If the scholars so choose, they may serve as an intern for a program or professor at CTU in a particular area of concentration of interest.
- Scholars may, depending on their course of study, participate in Biblical Study and Travel Programs. (The scholarship does not cover travel costs, but covers tuition if taken as courses).
Application for Leadership in Ministry Scholarships
To apply, download a copy of the application, fill it out, and submit to the Recruitment Office. Scholarship applications are due March 6, 2017. Be advised, however, that applicants must be admitted to CTU before this date.
Please click here to download the application:
Please provide a typed, double-spaced essay on each of the following questions. Limit your responses to a maximum of 250 words per question. Your name must be included on each page.
1. What experiences have you had that would demonstrate your capacity for leadership?
2. Identify the area of theology that most interests you and explain why.
3. How do you hope to use your leadership skills in the future once you’ve obtained a CTU degree?
4. How would receiving the scholarship make a difference for you both intellectually and financially?
Emailed submission (attachment): firstname.lastname@example.org
Faxed submission: 773.371.5452
Mailed submission: Financial Aid Office | Catholic Theological Union | 5401 S Cornell Ave | Chicago, IL 60615
If you have questions about Leadership in Ministry Scholarships, or need more information, please contact:
Assistant Director of Admissions and Financial Aid