An integral part of Catholic Theological Union (CTU), the Bernardin Center has many distinctive initiatives which include:
- Catholic Common Ground Initiative works to lessen polarities and divisions that weaken the communion of the Church.
- The Catholic-Jewish Studies Program and the Catholic-Muslim Studies Program both offer opportunities for interreligious dialogue among the Jewish, Christian, and Muslim faith communities.
- Catholics on Call invites young adults to explore the meaning and discernment of vocation.
- The In Good Faith dinner series brings together members of Jewish, Christian, and Muslim communities for education and fellowship.
- The Peacebuilders Initiative (2003-2015) prepared Catholic high school youth for leadership roles in peacemaking, reconciliation, and conflict transformation.
- Endowed Faculty Chairs: the Vatican II Chair in Theology; the Erica and Harry John Family Chair in Ethics; and the Crown Ryan Chair in Jewish Studies.