Exploring the Lands of the Bible with Fr. Don Senior
Join Rev. Donald Senior, CP for a special study tour of the Holy Land, May 20 to June 2, 2017, sponsored by the Board of Trustees of Catholic Theological Union.
We will begin our journey in Israel, visiting all of the major biblical sites including the flowered hills of Galilee, the majestic vistas of the desert, and the haunting beauty of Jerusalem. You will visit fascinating places most commercial tours never dream of.
Our trip will also include a few days in Jordan, a land of extraordinary beauty and warm hospitality -- exploring important sites such as Mount Nebo, Madabah and, of course, Petra, one of the true wonders of the world. The weather is lovely in May -- the most beautiful time of the year in the Middle East when we will see the desert in bloom. Our travel will be safe and peaceful in all the areas we visit. The tour will be professional in every detail, and we will stay in first class accommodations.
This year's cost for the entire trip will be $4,200 per person exclusive of airfare. (Single rooms require a supplement of $1,400 per person). This includes all ground transportation in spacious new air-conditioned coaches, accommodations in five star hotels (double occupancy; there is an additional cost for a single room), half-board (full breakfast and dinner), all entrance fees and other miscellaneous costs.
Not included are trans-Atlantic airfare, lunches (there are plenty of clean and attractive snack bars and restaurants along our way), and gratuities (e.g., for hotel staff, bus driver, guide in Jordan).
Below is an itinerary of the trip with some of the main highlights listed. Click here for more detailed information, and here to register:
- Saturday, May 20: Fly from USA to Israel
- Sunday, May 21: Arrive Tel Aviv; Transfer to Jerusalem
- Monday, May 22: Herodian Jerusalem model; Shrine of the Book; Yad Vashem; Ramat Rachel; Old City Walls; Mt. of Olives overlook; Damascus Gate; Russian Convent; Holy Sepulchre; Jewish Quarter; Dormition Abbey; Cenacle
- Tuesday, May 23: Temple Mount/ Dome of the Rock; Western Wall; Southern Wall excavcations; Wadi Qelt; Jericho; Qarantal; Dominus Flevit; Gethsemane; Kidron Valley walk
- Wednesday, May 24: Bethlehem shepherd's fields; Herodium; Basilica of Nativity; Bethlehem University
- Thursday, May 25: Wadi Qelt; Qumran; Masada; Dead Sea; Arava border crossing to Jordan; overnight in Aqaba
- Friday, May 26: Drive to Petra; visit Petra; overnight Petra
- Saturday, May 27: Desert Highway; Shobak Castle; Madabah; Mt. Nebo; overnight Amman
- Sunday, May 28: Tour central Amman; Jordan Valley; Cross border to Israel; Bet Shean; Bet Alpha; Tiberias; overnight Tiberias
- Monday, May 29: Mt. of Beatitudes; Tagbha; Church of Primacy; Capernaum; Jordan River park; Golan Heights; Peace overlook
- Tuesday, May 30: Mt. Arbel overlook; Cana; Sepphoris; Nazareth; Magdala; Ancient Galilean Boat Museum; Boat ride on Sea of Galilee
- Wednesday, May 31: Megiddo; Murakah; lunch at Daliyat Karmiel; Caesarea Maritima; overnight Jerusalem
- Thursday, June 1: Bethany; St. Anne; free time in Jerusalem
- Friday, June 2: Return to US
Prior to our departure, we will also offer an orientation session for those in the Chicago area.
Please contact Colleen Kennedy for a registration form, or for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org or 773-371-5417.