Catholic Theological Union has been recognized by the Illinois Department of Higher Education since 1967 as an approved degree-granting institution. CTU offers nine degrees, which are fully accredited by the Association of Theological Schools (ATS):
- Master of Divinity (M.Div.)
- Master of Arts (Theology) (M.A.)
- Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.)
Professional Ministerial Master Degrees
- Master of Arts in Pastoral Studies (M.A.P.S.)
- Master of Arts in Biblical Ministry (M.A.- B.M.)
- Master of Arts in Hispanic Theology and Ministry (M.A.- H.T.M.)
- Master of Arts in Intercultural Ministry (M.A.- I.C.M.)
- Master of Arts in Justice Ministry (M.A.- J.M.)
- Master of Arts in Liturgical Ministry (M.A.- LIT)
- Master of Arts in Spiritual Ministry (M.A.- SpM)
Catholic Theological Union’s master degree programs are shaped by an innovative curriculum that integrates four key components: pastoral practice [P], theological methods, or the art of doing theology [A], the nature of religion, its diversity, and how religious experience is culturally conditioned [R], and tradition [T]. Four Foundational Courses provide a wide overview, each emphasizing one of the aspects of P-A-R-T. This curriculum models the interrelatedness of theological and ministerial disciplines, and interweaves theory with practice. The result is a comprehensive, integrative theological education for ministry in an increasingly globalized world, and a solid foundation for effectiveness as a minister in the Catholic Church.
What CTU program is right for me?
Catholic Theological Union recognizes and understands that deciding which program to pursue - the best fit given one's interests, passions, and career goals - takes information-gathering and reflection. To assist prospective students discern what CTU offers, the resource below overviews our programs, their focal points, and career considerations.
For more information contact: