Asian Pastoral Theology and Ministry
The Asian Pastoral Theology and Ministry (APTM) Certificate is designed for pastoral ministers who seek to develop greater depth and competence in their ministry among Asians and Asian Americans in a variety of contexts. This flexible course of study can be fitted to address the particular interests and circumstances of each student in conversation with the certificate administrator. Courses may be taken in a variety of formats, including blended or online.
The certificate consists of 18 credits: nine required credits with an Asian focus; six elective credits with Asian threads/perspectives; and three elective credits in any discipline.
Nine required credits with an Asian focus
These are courses in which students will focus on Asian and Asian American pastoral and theological themes.
Courses that fulfill this requirement include:
- Pastoral Ministry in U.S. Asian and Pacific Island Contexts
- Asian Focused Theme Courses (offered annually during Summer Institute)
- Using Film in an Asian Pastoral Context
- Cross Currents in Asian Theologies
- Strangers, Migrants, and Refugees in the Bible
- Ministry Practicum or CPE in an Asian/Asian American ministry context
Six elective credits with Asian threads/perspectives
These are courses in which students can pursue Asian and Asian American related pastoral and theological threads through their individual studies and assignments in cooperation with the professor. Courses that fulfill this requirement include:
- *Foundations: Doing Theology in Global Perspective
- *Introduction to the New Testament
- Buddhist-Christian Dialogue
- Christology and Cultures
* Courses designated with an asterisk are particularly recommended for students with minimal pastoral or theological background.
Three elective credits in any discipline
These courses may be drawn from across the departmental and Summer Institute offerings. Students with minimal pastoral or theological background may use these elective credits to further enhance their preparation. Courses that fulfill this requirement include:
- Introduction to Moral Theology
- Catholic Social Teaching and Mission
- Catechesis and Religious Education in the Worshiping Community
The Director of the Asian Pastoral Theology and Ministry Certificate is the Rev. vanThanh Nguyen, SVD, Associate Professor of New Testament Studies and holder of the Francis Xavier Ford MM Chair of Catholic Missiology.
For more information contact:
APTM@ctu.edu or 773.371.5523